Skip Navigation
1 - portrait - An aerial view of Membury  An aerial view of Membury
Road Issues
Road Issues

Road Issues

Flooding and Road conditions

Parish councillors probably get more questions about road maintenance and flooding issues than anything else. Below is a checklist showing the quickest way to deal with the most common problems. 

Potholes, blocked drains and flooding, overgrown vegetation and similar matters are the responsibility of Devon County Council.

They can all be reported quickly online at the council's very helpful 'report a problem' page.

This includes an online map where the problem can be directly marked for the council's attention.

Or the main telephone contact numbers for highways matters are: 0345 155 1004 or 0845 155 1004.

The parish council tracks ongoing problems at our regular meetings as well.


To report flooding from sewers and water pipes contact South West Water on 0344 346 2020 (24 hour service).

Local Floodwarden

Patrick White is our volunteer flood emergency co-ordinator. His work involves updating and maintaining the ring-around list, and checking the siren system. If residents require any empty, free of charge, sandbags for domestic use please contact him as well. He resides at Red Lion House and can be contacted under 01404881899

Snow and ice

Devon County Council fill the strategically located salt bins prior to the winter season. Our Snow Warden is David Neill, who can be contacted under 01404881106.

The Highway Safety Policy

To view a copy of Devon County Council's Highway Safety Policy please click here.

General Road Queries

For general matters you can find information on

Fuel/Oil Spills

To report an environmental incident such as pollution to water or land, flooding from any river, stream, canal, natural spring or the sea etc. please contact the Environment Agency on their Incident Hotline Telephone: 0800 807060 24-hour service.